I had fresh ginger sitting in my refrigerator. I was trying to figure out how to use it before it went bad and I remembered how much I used to love these ginger snaps. My memory served me well on this one. These cookies are so quick and easy to make, and they are so tasty. When I told Phillip I was going to make ginger snaps, he wasn’t over the moon excited. He had tasted store-bought, rock hard ginger snaps before and was not impressed. But after tasting them fresh from the oven and homemade, he was asking for more asap!
What you need:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 1/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cloves or all spice
1/4 tsp salt
1. Cream sugar and butter.
This may take a while, so be patient and get that cream and sugar well combined. This is the best foundation for a good cookie!
2. Add Molasses and Egg and combine.
3. Add dry ingredients and combine.
4. After all of the ingredients are well combined (the dough should be really holding together), take the dough and mold into small balls and roll in sugar to coat them.
5. Assemble the sugary dough onto a baking sheet and bake at 325 degrees for about 15 minutes. Keep an eye on these while they’re baking. In my oven they took more like 20 min to cook, but my cookies were pretty thick.
6. These babies are ready to eat just as soon as they come out of the oven. They are crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. They were so good that I forgot to take a picture of them before they were half gone!